Why pick AleForge Minecraft Hosting over Realms? There are several reasons, actually.
Realms is a Mojang/Microsoft provided Minecraft server that allows you to play with your friends, but with quite a few limitations.
- Realms itself will only allow up to 20 players while only 10 can play at any one time. We offer various Minecraft server packages allowing up to 100+ players (simultaneously) and potentially thousands of players via a hub network.
- Realms also doesn't allow any plugins or mods while we support nearly all plugins and mods. It goes without saying that plugins and mods make up the majority of multiplayer Minecraft servers and is what makes them much more fun than a vanilla experience (not that vanilla MC isn't fun as well!).
- With our hosting, you have full control over your server from all the server settings to the file system via SFTP. You can upload your own worlds or download them whenever you want or have multiple worlds on the same server (not at the same time, but that's possible to do with a simple plugin).
- You're restricted to running only the latest version of Minecraft when using Realms. We allow you to run any of our preinstalled vanilla, CraftBukkit, Spigot, and mod pack server JARs as well as upload any other version of Minecraft JAR as well.
- Realms is shared hosting. With AleForge you are guaranteed access to the resources you pay for.